Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Liked me,

Very subdued, he was, for Dissdale.
I suppose, I said diffidently, you didn't ask him if he and Calder had ever bought, cured and sold sick animals before Indian Silk.
Yes, I did, actually, because of your thoughts. But he said they hadn't. Indian Silk was the first, and Dissdale rather despondently said he supposed Calder and lan Pargetter couldn't bear to see all their time and trouble go to waste, so when lan Pargetter couldn't persuade Fred Barnet to try Calder, Calder sent Dissdale to buy the horse outright.
And it worked a treat.
nodded. Another thing Dissdale said was that Calder was as stunned as he was himself to find it was Ekaterin's who had loaned the money for Sandcastle. There had been no men¬tion of it in the papers. Dissdale asked me to tell you that when he told Calder who it was who had actually put up the money, Calder said 'My God' several times and walked up and down all evening and drank far more than usual. Dissdale didn't know why, and Calder wouldn't tell him, but Dissdale says he thinks now it was because Calder was feeling remorse at hammering Ekaterin's after an Ekaterin had saved his life.
Dissdale, I said dryly, is still trying to find excuses for his hero.
And for his own admiration of him, agreed. But perhaps it's true. Dissdale said Calder had liked you very much.
and apologized, and tried to kill me: that too.
Movement had slowly returned to my shoulder and arm once the body-restricting plaster had come off, and via electrical treatment, exercise and massage normal strength had returned.

No comments: